What we have heard and known, what our fathers have told us, we will not hide from our children.  We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, His power, and the wonders He has done.
 -Psalm 78:3-4

12 November 2008

Safe and Sound in Sheffield

It's been a whirlwind of activity from the time I flew into DFW from Denver, until just about now.  Maddie and Aiden McGinnis (children of the team leaders with whom I am currently staying) are off to bed, and the house is quiet.  It's still fairly surreal that I have arrived in the UK.  I'm not sure that it will really sink in until after a few weeks.  But I wanted to recount a little of the journey over here.

I arrived in Fort Worth on Saturday and immediately started organizing for packing, after grabbing a quick bite at Chipotle.  Had to get some last minute Mexican food!  Sunday dawned bright and Jamey preached a killer sermon on worship.  It was a great way to end my last Sunday for a while at Christ Fellowship!  I have been so blessed to be a part of CF for the past four years.  

After church we had a great time in the park celebrating four years and friendships.  There was tea, scones, and for my friend leaving for Hawaii, a good dose of pineapple and papaya.  I didn't get nearly enough time to chat with everyone, but that's the way it is.  Thanks to everyone who came and I missed you if you weren't able.

Monday was a whirlwind of activity from running errands all day to attempting to pack three suitcases full of my belongings into two to joining some friends for my last ice cream in the States.  Pumpkin with chocolate chips from Marble Slab.  Mmm!  The place was overrun by high school kids, but it was a good time.  And it rained in honor of Sheffield.  I then ran home and finished packing.

I found out the hard way that Tuesday was Veteran's Day when I tried to ship my box from the closed post office.  Check for holidays before leaving for overseas!  Then, upon arrival at the airport, I realized I didn't know from which terminal my flight left.  Check for gate information before leaving for overseas!  So, we drove around four terminals before my sister saved the day and told us the gate.  We were laughing after every turn.  It was a great way to leave the States.  
In the airport terminal, I got to chat with a gentleman who's daughter is a bilingual speech-language pathologist and has done mission work.  It was a great conversation.  Thank You Jesus for helping to pass the time.  The flight was also a lot shorter than I remembered, but I was able to sleep.  When I arrived at the airport, I couldn't locate my ride, but thankfully the gentleman sitting next to me let me borrow a mobile to phone the team.  My ride had been stuck in traffic for 2.5 hours!  But the sun was shining, and I didn't even need to use my jacket.  The drive through the Peaks over Snake Pass was beautiful - leaves turning and winding roads with green hillsides dotted with sheep and a thin river alongside.  God does good work!

I arrived in Sheffield in time for the team lunch to welcome me and then I took a short nap.  By the time I woke up, it was dark outside; the sun sets around 4:45.  It's still very surreal being here, but as I get to know the city more, I'm sure it will start to sink it that this is longer than a holiday.  And, I can't wait to hang out with the kiddos this weekend at Re:fresh, the annual church retreat.  Thanks for all your prayers, support, and encouragement.  My missionary magnets are in, and Vicki is helping to pass them out in Texas, my mom in Colorado.  Hopefully, you'll get yours soon!  Love hearing from you!  

Talk to you all soon,
J-