What we have heard and known, what our fathers have told us, we will not hide from our children.  We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, His power, and the wonders He has done.
 -Psalm 78:3-4

17 November 2014

I'll Be Home for Christmas

Michael Joseph Meets Emma Grace
Only 37 days until Christmas, when did that happen? This past week I celebrated 6 years in Sheffield. And 6 years on the job means I'm up for my second furlough/sabbatical/refuel. I'll be back in the States from Christmas to March. It's coming up fast. I'm looking forward to Christmas with my new niece Emma Grace and New Year's with my new nephew. He's due to come on Christmas. I'm getting ready to purchase my plane tickets, but need your help.

The cost of the plane tickets are about $2000. Do you have some frequent flyer miles that they're not using? I have miles on Delta and United that I can use for some legs of the journey, but still need help with two other flights. If you have some or would like to donate towards the cost of the plane tickets, could you send me an email by 22 November? That's when I need to purchase the first set of tickets. 

Brainwave aka Jon
My plan for my furlough time is to spend Christmas in Alabama, New Year's in NYC, then the last weeks of January I'll be in Texas, the first three weeks of February I'll be in Colorado, finishing off with some rest time in Alaska. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you when I'm back. 

Cooking Curry at Springfield Primary

Meanwhile here in Sheffield, we recently hosted our third holiday club. 'Mega Makers!' was a hit. The club had an invention theme and explored the life of Jesus based on Ephesians 3:18 - how the message of Jesus went wider and wider, how His power was stronger and stronger, and His love and message will go on forever and ever. Twenty-three kids came to the club and 13 from outside the church, which is great since we really wanted to see kids come from the community this time. Some kids came through my connection with the local primary school where I also recently got to cook curry with the Year 5s. 
The Mega Machine

Mega Makers! Song Time
ROBOT!
Numerous volunteers came together to make the week and the concluding Family Service a success. I was overwhelmed by the time that people gave to make props for the week, to bake snacks for the kids, and to invest in the children of the neighbourhood and the church. At the Family Service we looked at Jesus healing Jairus' daughter. Then the kids got a chance to pray for healing. It was our second Family Service and a lot of fun. It's great to worship and learn with the kids.
Building Blocks

Interactive Snacks

I get a chance to worship with the kids again at the upcoming Carol Service. One of the mums who is a dancer and I are choreographing with some of the little girls from the church. It has been fun to be creative in that way again and is my hope that the music and dancing will speak to people in a way that words cannot. We've had so many visitors come to church this autumn that we expect a record number at the Carol Service. 
A Toolshed

Please keep our upcoming Carol Service and all the logistics that need to happen to cover my jobs whilst I'm away in your prayers. Bonfire Night has passed by, but Thanksgiving is on its way. I'm thankful for little babies Evelyn and Eva that were born in the church these last couple months. It seems like everyone is on an 'E' kick here. I'm also thankful for all your support over the past 6 years in prayer and financially. Thank you for supporting me and Antioch Kids.

Janette playing May Kamess

Elastic Eureka came to the Family Service